Sunday 21 September 2014

Making Choices

The Hopeful Match Fisher

I tend to think of my fishing from the bait upwards.  A lot of care is put into sorting out decent bait, appropriate hooks and balanced hooklength lines.  Tying up length and storing a variety of patterns is important to me, so I picked up a number of storage options for various types.  After reading and experience of different possibilities I've settled on Preston's Reflo Power for hooklengths and Preston and Tuberitini hooks.  I like the Preston line because its got a good balance of stretch and bounce (if you know what I mean)  I also find if quite durable, and it ties up nicely.  I think I've got a spool of every diameter expect the highest and lowest options.

The Preston PR and 400 series hooks are great, particularly the PR36 and 456 patterns.  They seem really popular amongst anglers and I'm always seeing them get a mention.  What strikes me about the PI range is that it is not so wide, like the Drennan and Kamasan offerings.  I find I just get confused and paralyzed by too many options, so PI have got the balance just right I think.

My routine is to keep five of every chosen pattern I think I will need, varying on line and length, plus also whether I will give it a looped hair, long hair for bigger baits, a pellet band or a quickstop.  I guess I have around 40 patterns and 200 hooklengths in store at any one time.

Another story is groundbait, and once again I'm looking for a range based on match needs rather than sales needs!  What I sometimes find a pain is that companies (Dynamite and Marauku for example) have so many overlapping variants that I just can see the correct choice.  I've tended to settle on Sonubaits and Bag 'Em because the ranges are better defined and described, and I can see the logic behind the choices.  I particularly like the 2kg Sonubait bags, which I find more practical and better value.  I also love the resealable bags which I keep to store pellets!  Again the Bag 'Em range is also quite narrow but the groundbaits are distinctive and careful aimed at certain usages and conditions.  The works in my brain!  The fact that successful and respected matchmen have put their names to them also resonates with me.

The one thing I've not yet had a hard look into is purchasing of bulk worms (Willyworms being an example).  I'm not clear on worms as winter bait yet, so as it begins to cool down I'll give it a try.  I just want to be able to buy in bulk and store what I don't use.  I'm not sure how long worms will live in their sealed bucket for.  Any advice greatly received.

Lastly, I've built up a fair collection of liquid additives.  A lot of these are for pepping up groundbait for bream.  I'm keen to push along on additives and see how I get on with them.



Hopeful



No comments:

Post a Comment